Break Out Your Pride
Since historical events usually happen in threes, I’m waiting for one more to be announced.
We’ve already celebrated the Royal wedding ad nauseam and now Osama Bin Laden is dead.
Hard to top the last one but am hoping the third will have something to do with backass Georgia finally agreeing to sell alcohol on Sundays. Who knows?
Amidst all of the chaos of the past few months (earthquakes, tornadoes, violence in Egypt and Libya, Arizona shooting spree, budget crisis, Star Jones STILL on Celebrity Apprentice…) we were definitely due for something that unites rather than divides. Okay, I’m getting too serious for this blog. But this is a monumental day in history people. One where Rush Limbaugh actually praised Barack Obama! Now that’s big. Huge. Unprecedented.
Okay, back to the food. Since I truly didn’t pay much attention to the Royal wedding and the Brits can’t cook for squat, I’ll choose the latter (and more important) event and celebrate my American pride by making something for a backyard BBQ, the quintessential American culinary pastime.
I’ll take out my flags and praise Obama for the genius that he is despite the fact that everyone thought…oh, forget it, won’t go there, and listen to George Gershwin and make hamburgers and be ever so thankful that I don’t live in any country that has ‘STAN’ at the end of its name.
To take it one step further, I’ll even show my Southern pride. I’ll take out my guns, start shooting skeet, whip out my signed picture of John Schneider and the General Lee and let my kids run barefoot in the streets. I’ll get drunk at 2 pm, eat mayonnaise from the jar, wear a bikini top with jean shorts, listen to Brad Paisley…wait a minute, I think I’ll just stick with my American pride on this one.
Along with your delicious hamburgers or chicken burgers for which you already have the recipe (see previous posts) there is nothing more backyard-friendly (and more American) than fresh roasted corn salad. I’m talking go to the Farmer’s Market and shuck your own or stand there at the grocery store like an idiot over the garbage can pulling off all the husks and then putting them back because you see one tiny bad part while your kid begs for a free cookie kind of salad. Now that’s American. I’ve tried lots of different recipes but my favorite always includes cider vinegar and fresh basil. And Kosher salt. And garlic. And chewing tobacco. Just kidding.
Now’s the time to celebrate your freedom. American pride. Gay pride. Religious pride. Black pride. White pride (wait, is that allowed?) and my personal favorite, Chaotic pride. Introduce yourself to a new neighbor. Or take the backyard BBQ to the front yard and see who shows up.
God Bless America!
Roasted Corn Salad
- 4-5 pieces of corn
- Red pepper
- Yellow pepper
- Red onion
- Clove garlic (minced)
- Fresh basil (handful)
- Pinch of dried parsley
- Pinch of black pepper
- Big pinch of Kosher Salt
- 3-4 splashes of Apple Cider vinegar (a splash consists of quickly pouring the liquid into a cup, probably measures out to 2 Tablespoons, but a) you can’t go wrong with more and b) I don’t measure)
- 3-4 splashes of good Olive Oil
- 1 splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 squirt of Dijon mustard
- Clean corn and get those annoying strings off.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Roast corn on 400 (or grill) for 20 minutes, turning twice.
- Cool corn.
- Meantime, dice up onion and peppers in one bowl.
- In another, mix up oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, parsley, mustard and garlic. Add some lemon if you want. I didn’t have any that day and it was still good.
- When corn is cool, slice it off and mix with veggies. Add dressing.
- Chill (you and salad).
- Chop basil right before serving and add to the top so it doesn’t wilt while in the fridge.
- Crank up the country tunes and grab a Coors, baby. You’re in the best country in the world!