Embracing Your Inner ADD
What some people call adult ADD I call multitasking. So what if a huge mound of laundry sits half folded for a week next to the suitcase from Thanksgiving that’s not exactly unpacked? Or if I get bored cleaning out the hall closet and abandon the project when something more interesting (read: anything else) comes along? At least a few bags were emptied in the process. One day, the junk drawers will eventually get cleaned out, but only after I find that Polly Pocket doll that goes to the shoe that’s sitting next to the mini staple gun that’s too cute to throw away even though nobody actually uses a mini staple gun, right? Taxes have been started…sort of. I’m on it. Knowing I owe money counts. I just like to diversify my projects, that’s all. Never want to get too roped into one thing, that’s my philosophy, you know? And I’ve never missed a deadline so get off my case. Oh, as an aside, I also believe that dishwashers and dryers function much better as drawers. Easy, convenient, and there’s no need to fold or put anything away! Just take it out and use it when you need it. I mean c’mon? Is that genius or what?
So, take your Adderall and stuff it. I’ve got things under control. And just to show you how in control I am, I can make dinner while doing all of the above.
Tonight’s meal is going to be…oh wait, the phone’s ringing. No, I don’t want Direct TV right now. Sorry.
Okay, tonight’s meal is going to be…Yes, Talia, I already signed that field trip paper and no, I’m not going to chaperone twenty screaming second graders to the dairy farm from 8 am until 4 pm on a yellow school bus. Why? Because I’m not an idiot! And any mom who signs up for this trip is!
Tonight’s meal is going to be….why yes, Mr. Client calling me right now to ask me something I already told you SIXTEEN TIMES, let’s just make that seventeen. Yes, I’ll have that tomorrow morning. No problem.
TONIGHT’S MEAL IS GOING TO BE SOMETHING GOOD SO JUST SHUT UP UNTIL I THINK OF IT. And you wonder why women are so stressed out?
Let me just take a moment. Do that breathing thing I learned at Pilates. Okay, I’m back. Yep. Got it all together. Let’s just pour that glass of hmmm…what’s left in here…some Chardonnay, that will do…and I’m ready to tackle tonight’s meal and everything else that seems to be BEING THROW MY WAY RIGHT NOW. WHERE THE HELL IS MY CHILDREN’S FATHER I MEAN MY HUSBAND? OH MY GOD IS MY DOG PEEING ON THE MADELINE WEINRIB RUG?
Chicken and Rice in One Pan
- One Package chicken with skin and bones (Yes, you can use boneless/skinless but it won’t be as juicy. Just cut cooking time in half).
- Uncooked Rice (white or brown).
- Two cans cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup (or one of each).
- Two cans chicken broth.
- One package onion soup mix.
- Throw in some frozen peas if it makes you feel better but nobody will eat them anyway.
- Pour some uncooked rice in the bottom of a baking dish (about a cup).
- Mix up creamed soups, broth and onion soup mix in separate bowl.
- Place chicken on top of dry rice.
- Pour soup mixture over chicken and rice. Throw on a little paprika if people are coming over.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for appx. 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 15 more minutes or until juices run clear when poked with fork.
Consider this another multitask gone right as you were able to cook chicken and a side dish at the exact same time. Touché!